Sunday, December 23, 2012

I'd tell you, but ...

Our band website has needed updating for longer than I'd like to admit. A while ago I'd tinkered with a new design in Photoshop, but it didn't look quite right. Finally this week, I started tinkering again until I had something good enough to show Ron the Drummer.

Before sending him the file today, I realized that the bit of text I'd put in the "News" section on the home page was out of date. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time coming up with something different, so I went with: "We've got all kinds of cool plans in the works, but if we told you, we’d have to kill you."

Later, at rehearsal, Ron said he thought the new design was fine, but could I take out the "kill" part? Given everything that's happened?

I didn't argue. For me, it was placeholder text, to be used only if I couldn't think of anything better. But damn, that's sad.

Can we please go long enough without another evil, pointless mass shooting that we can make stupid "then I'd have to kill you" jokes without anybody thinking twice about the deeper meaning?

No comments: